Every day we receive questions and orders for CO2 storage safety monitors to be used in beverage dispensing industries and entertainment facilities, where carbon dioxide is stored.
In many states, Fire Marshals expect to see monitors and alarms that meet very specific standards based on the International Fire Code (IFC), National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), and the National Board Inspection Code (NBIC).
We understand these standards and have devices that meet them.
It is important to understand the differences.
OSHA Code Requirements
Our Esense, Psense, or even our desktop CO2 monitors are frequently misunderstood.
At first glance, it is appealing as a low-cost solution for CO2 storage safety since it meets the OSHA standard for indoor air quality.
However, they do not have the necessary features to satisfy the local fire codes and regulations for CO2 storage safety being implemented across the United States. These codes are much more stringent. While the codes in your area may differ slightly, they are all based on the IFC, NFPA and NBIC codes.
CO2 Storage Safety Code Requirements
Any device that meets the CO2 storage safety codes must accomplish the following:
- The CO2 Safety monitoring system must have a remote display; allowing one to see and evaluate CO2 levels when the alarms are triggered and sounding without going into the area of potential danger.
- It must have a dual alarm; audible and visible alarms must sound and flash at two different levels of CO2 (1.5% and 3% CO2).
- The device must have a relay that automatically triggers an exhaust fan to ventilate the area on the first alarm. Some jurisdictions require a second alarm relay to trigger the fire control panel of the building and directly notify the fire department.
- Some jurisdictions require additional safety precautions such as strobe lights in conjunction with the sensing device and the remote display.
Which Device Do You Need?
The correct device that meets IFC, NFPA and NBIC codes is the RAD-0102-6 Remote CO2 Storage Safety 3 Alarm with optional external strobe lights.
In addition to meeting the many code standards, this CO2 storage safety alarm includes:
- Easy to read screen which displays current CO2 level and temperature on both the Sensor and Remote Display
- Up to 3 Remote Displays can be daisy-chained to show warnings at multiple entrances
- NBIC-compliant warning signs in English and Spanish included
- Easy Installation will all mounting brackets included
- Splash resistant case can easily be sealed when cleaning floors and walls
We recommend the RAD-0102-6 CO2 Storage Safety Alarm for all beverage, convenience, agriculture and entertainment applications where CO2 is stored.
Still Need Help? Speak to an Expert Today!Sales@CO2Meter.com or Call us Directly: 877-678-4259